Violence Spikes Across Kandahar, Nearby Provinces
Violence is again on the rise in southern Afghanistan tonight, following a pre-dawn attack on a NATO base which has produced several different stories and a number of other strikes elsewhere.
Exactly what happened in the pre-dawn attack is unclear, with the Taliban claiming over 40 NATO troops killed, NATO claiming no one killed, and other reports putting the toll anywhere in between the two figures.
Today’s spate of attacks follows yesterday’s shooting, by a group of uniformed Afghan police, against NATO troops. In that incident one soldier was killed and several others wounded. The police disappeared after the attack.
Following that, a group of four in Afghan police uniforms were killed in an attack in Kandahar. It isn’t clear if these attackers were related to yesterday’s.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Heavy Clashes Among Militias in Libya's Tripoli - December 2nd, 2016
- Senate Passes New Bill Targeting College Students Who Criticize Israel - December 2nd, 2016
- Iran: US Extension of Sanctions Act Violates Nuclear Deal - December 2nd, 2016
- Iraq Struggles With ISIS Oil Fires - December 2nd, 2016
- Iraqi Troops Spray Shi'ite Graffiti in Mosul - December 2nd, 2016