Grim Milestone as Marine Corporal Killed in Helmand
The occupation of Afghanistan reached another grim milestone yesterday, when Marine Corporal Taylor Baune died in the Helmand Province, bringing the overall toll of Operation Enduring Freedom to 2,000 American soldiers killed.
The label Operation Enduring Freedom covers not only the occupation of Afghanistan put also the war in several other countries since 2001, though it excludes the occupation of Iraq, which saw nearly 4,500 US soldiers killed as well in that span.
All told, Operation Enduring Freedom has seen over 3,000 NATO soldiers killed, with the vast majority Americans. Britain and Canada are the only two other member nations to have lost over 100 soldiers in the war so far.
Though officially the NATO occupation is scheduled to end at the end of 2014, US officials have signed a deal to keep US troops on the ground through at least 2024. The exact number of troops that will be in the country as of 2015 has yet to be announced.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Cabinet Unanimously Rejects Gaza Ceasefire - July 25th, 2014
- Six Palestinians Killed as Israel Cracks Down on West Bank Protests - July 25th, 2014
- UN Chief Slams Israeli Attacks on Gaza: At Least 844 Palestinians Killed - July 24th, 2014
- Ukraine Accused of Targeting Civilians in East Ukraine Offensive - July 24th, 2014
- Hanging Chads?: Afghan Recount Delayed Over Fraud Definition - July 24th, 2014