Grim Milestone as Marine Corporal Killed in Helmand
The occupation of Afghanistan reached another grim milestone yesterday, when Marine Corporal Taylor Baune died in the Helmand Province, bringing the overall toll of Operation Enduring Freedom to 2,000 American soldiers killed.
The label Operation Enduring Freedom covers not only the occupation of Afghanistan put also the war in several other countries since 2001, though it excludes the occupation of Iraq, which saw nearly 4,500 US soldiers killed as well in that span.
All told, Operation Enduring Freedom has seen over 3,000 NATO soldiers killed, with the vast majority Americans. Britain and Canada are the only two other member nations to have lost over 100 soldiers in the war so far.
Though officially the NATO occupation is scheduled to end at the end of 2014, US officials have signed a deal to keep US troops on the ground through at least 2024. The exact number of troops that will be in the country as of 2015 has yet to be announced.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Delivers Plan to Escalate ISIS War - February 27th, 2017
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Central Gaza, Wounding Four - February 27th, 2017
- Turkey-Backed Rebels Clash With Syrian Military South of al-Bab - February 27th, 2017
- Trump Seeks Massive 9% Military Spending Hike - February 27th, 2017
- Netanyahu: Trump, Israel At Odds Over Settlements - February 27th, 2017