The controversy over Germany’s decision to give heavily-subsidized nuclear-capable submarines to Israel centered largely around Israel’s nuclear weapons program, and the concern that Germany would be helping them deploy WMDs abroad. This fear appears to have been warranted.
It is now being reported that Israel is doing exactly that, loading the subs with nukes that are to be launched by a secret “hydraulic ejection system” that Germany installed for them. German officials have repeatedly insisted they were “unaware” of the plan.
But now that they’re been caught out helping Israel in this manner, German officials are defending it, saying that they had “always assumed” Israel would load nukes on the submarines.
Though Israel doesn’t officially admit to its widely known program, Defense Minister Ehud Barak didn’t appear to shy away from the matter either, saying that Germany “should be proud” of having helped Israel with the deployments.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018