Speaking today from a conference in Stockholm, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that she has warned her Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov that the Russian government has to change its position on Syria.
“My message to the foreign minister was very simple and straightforward,” Clinton said, saying that she believes Russia “has to be at the table helping” with the US-backed regime change in Syria.
Naturally this is the exact opposite of the Russian position, as Russia has resisted calls to oust their long-time ally Bashar Assad and expressed concern that NATO nations, France in particular, seem to be using the ongoing unrest in the nation as an excuse for war.
Lavrov reiterated that Russia supports Kofi Annan’s peace plan, which involves a ceasefire leading to negotiations. The US has criticized the ceasefire repeatedly, and rebels have demanded that the UN announce and end to it so they could launch attacks more freely.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018