Rebels Slam Ceasefire, Vow 'Bigger Conflict'
Most of the Syrian rebels had dismissed the ceasefire deal virtually the moment it was announced, and are now more open than ever about the fact that they’re arming in a big way (with the support of the GCC) and planning a “bigger conflict.”
But when Syria’s Civil War breaks out again, and everyone assumes at this point that it will, the US is already clear that they consider Russia and Iran entirely to blame, using high profile comments today to publicly lash both nations for not jumping on the rebel bandwagon as quickly as they have.
“[The Russians] are telling me they don’t want to see a civil war. I have been telling them their policy is going to help to contribute to a civil war,” Secretary of State Hillary Clinton insisted. Russia has been faulted by a number of Western countries for refusing to endorse UN Security Council measures they fear could be used for a Libya-style NATO invasion.
The White House went on to condemn Iran, saying it was responsible for propping up Assad and that it is trying to “expand its nefarious influence in the region” by doing so.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Vows Retaliation Against North Korea Over Sony Hack - December 19th, 2014
- Kurdish Peshmerga Capture Mount Sinjar From ISIS - December 18th, 2014
- US Sending Hundreds of Additional Ground Troops to Iraq - December 18th, 2014
- ISIS Retakes Iraqi City of Baiji, Troops Flee to Oil Refinery - December 18th, 2014
- Outrage Aside, Congress Likely Can't Stop Cuba Normalization - December 18th, 2014