Another day and several dozen more people killed in southern Yemen, as the Defense Ministry issued a statement claiming “35 al-Qaeda militants” were slain today in the ongoing offensives around the town of Jaar.
By which of course they mean fighters loyal to the Ansar al-Sharia. The group has claimed the Abyan Province since last June, ousting the military and operating at as a de facto independent emirate. Yemen never acknowledges a distinction between this faction or “al-Qaeda” in statements.
The latest round of offensives in Abyan have come with the deployment of a small number of US special forces to the nation, and claims that the special forces are actually directing Yemeni troops on the ground, while US drones continue to pound the area.
Today’s offensive ended with the military claiming to have captured the tiny town of Wadi Banaa, on the outskirts of Jaar. They again provided no indication of when they thing Jaar will be captured, let alone the Abyan capital of Zinjibar.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- McCain: Putin Is a Bigger Threat Than ISIS - May 29th, 2017
- ISIS Car Bomb Kills 13 at Central Baghdad Ice Cream Parlor - May 29th, 2017
- Over 1,000 Syria Rebels Leave Damascus Area in Evacuation Deal - May 29th, 2017
- Iran Hardliners Accuse Rouhani of Voter Fraud - May 29th, 2017
- ISIS Shells East Syria City, Killing 14 Civilians - May 29th, 2017