90 "al-Qaeda" Reported Killed in the Past Week
Militants attacked a truck full of US troops today in southern Yemen, wounding at least two of the “special forces” soldiers who had been deployed into the war-torn nation on a “training” and advisory mission.
Ansar al-Sharia took credit for the attack, saying that they waited for the soldiers to leave their hotel and shot three of them, one of them being shot in the neck. Local officials put the toll wounded at only two, saying one was shot in the neck and another in the leg.
Meanwhile, Yemeni warplanes pounded the city of Jaar, which is part of the Ansar al-Sharia held territory around Abyan Province. At least seven soldiers were killed today in the fighting, and officials said over 90 “al-Qaeda” were slain in the past week.
The US has been heavily backing the current Yemeni offensive, and by some accounts the “trainers” have been coordinating the attacks. US drones have also launched a number of the attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- No Evidence of Threat, But US On 'High Alert' for July 4th - July 3rd, 2015
- Obama Faces 'Showdown' With Congress Over Cuba Embassy - July 3rd, 2015
- Iran FM: Final Nuclear Deal Close - July 3rd, 2015
- Turkish PM: No Immediate Plans to Invade Syria - July 3rd, 2015
- US Drones Strike al-Qaeda-Held Yemen Army Base, Killing Four - July 3rd, 2015