A spokesman for UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon says that there is no “hard proof” that al-Qaeda was actually behind a number of high profile bombings against Syrian government targets, but did express concern about terrorist attacks in the country.
The spokesman, Martin Nesirky, said that the attacks were “clearly carried out by a group with organization and intent,” and that they did seem to follow the “familiar” style of such attacks elsewhere.
One of the attacks earlier this month, a bombing attack in Damascus, killed 70 people and wounded hundreds of others. Syrian officials cited this as proof of Western backing for al-Qaeda attacks in the country, while the rebels claimed the regime got al-Qaeda to bomb the buildings to make the rebels look bad.
Apparently determined not to give credence to either side, UN Special Envoy Kofi Annan expressed concern that the terrorists were a “third element” fighting in the civil war, distinct from either the regime or the rebels. This is a difficult case to make, however, since the terror attacks have exclusively targeted the regime.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas Meet Again With UN on Border Disarmament - October 21st, 2018
- US Denies Killing Syrian Civilians, Says Mosque Was 'Valid Military Target' - October 21st, 2018
- Security Woes, Irregularities Mar Afghanistan's Second Day of Voting - October 21st, 2018
- US General Wounded During Thursday Insider Attack in Afghanistan - October 21st, 2018
- Saudi FM: We Don't Know How Khashoggi Was Killed - October 21st, 2018