A new report from the Associated Press reveals that the CIA thwarted another attempted “underwear bomber,” in the model of failed 2009 bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab. The story was apparently uncovered last week, but the AP kept it a secret at the administration’s behest until today.
The new underpants were uncovered in Yemen, though officials said it “wasn’t clear” what happened to the guy who was supposed to wear them. They said the underwear “bore the hallmark” of previous al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) attempts.
Officials say that the underwear “never presented a threat,” but that it was a significant improvement over the pair worn by Abdulmutallab, which only managed to burn his lap and scare a lot of people.
The new attacker, whoever he was, had not picked a target yet, and officials said he had yet to buy a plane ticket. They went on to say that they weren’t sure if the new full-body scanners would’ve caught it, though it doesn’t seem like they’ve gone to any great effort to check.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Spain to Revoke Catalan Autonomy on Saturday - October 19th, 2017
- Taliban Destroys Afghan Army Base in Kandahar - October 19th, 2017
- Germany Suspends Training for Iraqi Kurdish Troops - October 18th, 2017
- Oil Firm Sees Congressional Vote on Iran Deal as Potential Positive - October 18th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrike Kills Six Civilians, Mostly Children, in North Yemen - October 18th, 2017