Terms Iran an 'Existential Threat' to Israel
Most of Israel has stopped talking about the possible attack on Iran to talk about early elections. Speaking today at Israel’s Foreign Press Association, Defense Minister Ehud Barak apparently didn’t get the memo.
Instead, Barak went on to declare Iran an “existential threat” to Israel, declaring that “all options are on the table” and accusing those opposed to the war of “burying their heads in the sand.”
Barak’s statements were, of course, nothing new and if they had been made even a couple of weeks ago they would’ve barely registered as news. With a growing number of top former officials now outspoken in their opposition to the war, his “business as usual” approach is certain to be controversial.
So to will be his comments that time is running out, as it fits into a previous narrative that an Israeli attack needed to come by the end of the summer to be effective. This suggests Barak might be looking to start a war on his way out the door, leaving whoever is elected in the fall to pick up the pieces.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Seize Most of NE City of Hasakeh From Govt - August 23rd, 2016
- US Efforts Fail to Rein in Iraqi Shi'ite Militias - August 23rd, 2016
- Israel's 50 Raids on Gaza in 2 Hours Raises Concerns About DM's Security Plan - August 23rd, 2016
- Former CIA Asset Seeks to Militarize East Libya - August 23rd, 2016
- Biden: Ignore Trump, US Committed to Baltic States Permanently - August 23rd, 2016