Just months after the video of US Marines urinating on the corpses of slain Afghans was leaked to the public, another desecration scandal has hit today with the release of a series of new photos showing US troops posing happily with Afghan corpses and in some cases partial corpses.
The photos were quickly condemned by a number of officials, and the White House said it wants a “full investigation” into them. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta issued an apology. A number of officials were warned ahead of time of their publication by the L.A. Times, giving them a chance to have their condemnation statements prepared.
Pentagon and White House officials were also quick to condemn the L.A. Times for publishing the photos, insisting that making public the latest in a series of shameful scandals might “trigger a backlash” against troops.
Apparently not everyone was briefed on the impending release, however. House Armed Services Committee Rep. Buck McKeon (R – CA), when pressed about the photos, expressed bewilderment at the question, assuming it was something to do with the 2004 Abu Ghraib photos.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Tillerson Retracts Offer for North Korea Talks Without Precondition - December 15th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017