Boko Haram Likely in Possession of Some of the Arms
Comments from Nigerian Defense Minister Olusola Obada confirmed today that weapons looted from Libya at the end of the NATO-sponsored civil war have found their way into Nigeria, and that Boko Haram is likely to be in possession of many of them.
Obada’s comments confirmed several previous reports to that effect, which said that Boko Haram was acquiring a number of weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, that are being sold by weapons looters.
It is a story that is liable to be repeated many times across the region, as the sheer enormity of the number of missiles is going to mean they’ll be on the black market for years to come across the entire region. Reports have already traced the missiles as far east as Sinai.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Sends Special Forces Troops to Jordan for Iraq Training - March 7th, 2014
- US Sends Destroyer to Black Sea Amid Crimea Tensions - March 7th, 2014
- Russia Warns Sanctions Could Backfire on US, EU - March 7th, 2014
- Conflicting Stories, But No Clashes at Ukraine Base in Crimea - March 7th, 2014
- Ukraine Interim Govt Courts Oligarchs, Neo-Fascists - March 7th, 2014