Comments from Nigerian Defense Minister Olusola Obada confirmed today that weapons looted from Libya at the end of the NATO-sponsored civil war have found their way into Nigeria, and that Boko Haram is likely to be in possession of many of them.
Obada’s comments confirmed several previous reports to that effect, which said that Boko Haram was acquiring a number of weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, that are being sold by weapons looters.
It is a story that is liable to be repeated many times across the region, as the sheer enormity of the number of missiles is going to mean they’ll be on the black market for years to come across the entire region. Reports have already traced the missiles as far east as Sinai.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- European Union 'Stands Ready to Act' Over US Sanctions on Russia - July 24th, 2017
- Hezbollah: Border Fighting Against Nusra Is Almost Won - July 24th, 2017
- Israel Removes Metal Detectors From Around al-Aqsa Mosque - July 24th, 2017
- Egypt's Sisi Vows Qatar Blockade Will Continue - July 24th, 2017
- US Blames Failed Missile Test on Sailor Pushing 'The Wrong Button' - July 24th, 2017