Boko Haram Likely in Possession of Some of the Arms
Comments from Nigerian Defense Minister Olusola Obada confirmed today that weapons looted from Libya at the end of the NATO-sponsored civil war have found their way into Nigeria, and that Boko Haram is likely to be in possession of many of them.
Obada’s comments confirmed several previous reports to that effect, which said that Boko Haram was acquiring a number of weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, that are being sold by weapons looters.
It is a story that is liable to be repeated many times across the region, as the sheer enormity of the number of missiles is going to mean they’ll be on the black market for years to come across the entire region. Reports have already traced the missiles as far east as Sinai.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Ground Troops Likely to Join Iraq's Attack on Mosul - February 19th, 2015
- Obama: Defeating ISIS Hinges on Syria Regime Change - February 19th, 2015
- Ukraine Claims Increased Death Toll in Loss of Debaltseve - February 19th, 2015
- Netanyahu on Collision Course With White House Over Iran - February 19th, 2015
- Syrian Kurds, Rebels Advance Into ISIS Territory in Raqqa - February 19th, 2015