Boko Haram Likely in Possession of Some of the Arms
Comments from Nigerian Defense Minister Olusola Obada confirmed today that weapons looted from Libya at the end of the NATO-sponsored civil war have found their way into Nigeria, and that Boko Haram is likely to be in possession of many of them.
Obada’s comments confirmed several previous reports to that effect, which said that Boko Haram was acquiring a number of weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, that are being sold by weapons looters.
It is a story that is liable to be repeated many times across the region, as the sheer enormity of the number of missiles is going to mean they’ll be on the black market for years to come across the entire region. Reports have already traced the missiles as far east as Sinai.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Spy Chief: Russia's Airstrikes 'Change Syria Calculus Completely' - February 9th, 2016
- ISIS Kills 10 in Suicide Bombing Against Damascus Police - February 9th, 2016
- US Intel Chief: 'Paranoid' Russia Pushing US Into Cold War Spiral - February 9th, 2016
- Iraq Claims Full Victory in Virtually-Destroyed Ramadi - February 9th, 2016
- Angling for NATO Bases, Poland Commits More Troops to Middle East - February 9th, 2016