Boko Haram Likely in Possession of Some of the Arms
Comments from Nigerian Defense Minister Olusola Obada confirmed today that weapons looted from Libya at the end of the NATO-sponsored civil war have found their way into Nigeria, and that Boko Haram is likely to be in possession of many of them.
Obada’s comments confirmed several previous reports to that effect, which said that Boko Haram was acquiring a number of weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, that are being sold by weapons looters.
It is a story that is liable to be repeated many times across the region, as the sheer enormity of the number of missiles is going to mean they’ll be on the black market for years to come across the entire region. Reports have already traced the missiles as far east as Sinai.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Officials Tell Senate: ISIS War Will Be Long and Difficult - September 16th, 2014
- Iraqi Officials Brief Syria on Anti-ISIS Coalition Plans - September 16th, 2014
- House Increasingly Divided on Plan to Arm Syria Rebels - September 16th, 2014
- Iraqi Parliament Spurns Defense, Interior Ministry Nominees - September 16th, 2014
- Report: Ukraine DM Threatens to Restart Nuclear Weapons Program - September 16th, 2014