Boko Haram Likely in Possession of Some of the Arms
Comments from Nigerian Defense Minister Olusola Obada confirmed today that weapons looted from Libya at the end of the NATO-sponsored civil war have found their way into Nigeria, and that Boko Haram is likely to be in possession of many of them.
Obada’s comments confirmed several previous reports to that effect, which said that Boko Haram was acquiring a number of weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, that are being sold by weapons looters.
It is a story that is liable to be repeated many times across the region, as the sheer enormity of the number of missiles is going to mean they’ll be on the black market for years to come across the entire region. Reports have already traced the missiles as far east as Sinai.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- The Lakkis Assassination and Israel's 'Kill List' - December 4th, 2013
- Pentagon Guidelines No Longer Ban Killing Civilians With Drones - December 4th, 2013
- Key Hezbollah Commander Assassinated in Beirut - December 4th, 2013
- Army General Defends $36 Million Afghan Headquarters Gaffe - December 4th, 2013
- Britain Courting Islamist Factions to Keep Syria War Going - December 4th, 2013