Boko Haram Likely in Possession of Some of the Arms
Comments from Nigerian Defense Minister Olusola Obada confirmed today that weapons looted from Libya at the end of the NATO-sponsored civil war have found their way into Nigeria, and that Boko Haram is likely to be in possession of many of them.
Obada’s comments confirmed several previous reports to that effect, which said that Boko Haram was acquiring a number of weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, that are being sold by weapons looters.
It is a story that is liable to be repeated many times across the region, as the sheer enormity of the number of missiles is going to mean they’ll be on the black market for years to come across the entire region. Reports have already traced the missiles as far east as Sinai.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Officials: Trump Will Ask for Sharp Increase in Military Spending - February 26th, 2017
- Pentagon Seeks to Expand US Involvement in Somalia Fight - February 26th, 2017
- Iran Starts Annual Navy Drill Near Strait of Hormuz - February 26th, 2017
- Iran Seeks to Buy Uranium Ore From Kazakhstan, Eyes Fuel Production - February 26th, 2017
- Trump Admin. Approves, Then Blocks, Informal North Korea Talks - February 26th, 2017