Comments from Nigerian Defense Minister Olusola Obada confirmed today that weapons looted from Libya at the end of the NATO-sponsored civil war have found their way into Nigeria, and that Boko Haram is likely to be in possession of many of them.
Obada’s comments confirmed several previous reports to that effect, which said that Boko Haram was acquiring a number of weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, that are being sold by weapons looters.
It is a story that is liable to be repeated many times across the region, as the sheer enormity of the number of missiles is going to mean they’ll be on the black market for years to come across the entire region. Reports have already traced the missiles as far east as Sinai.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Faces Showdown With Congress Over Saudi Arms Deal - May 28th, 2017
- Mattis: US Intends No ISIS to Survive the War - May 28th, 2017
- Congressional Hawks Expect Battle for Military Spending Hikes - May 28th, 2017
- Israel Jails Palestinians Who 'Fit the Terrorist Profile' - May 28th, 2017
- Palestinian Detainees End Hunger Strike, Claim Major Concessions Made - May 28th, 2017