The Yemeni government continues to rewrite the story of the air strikes of the past several days, and is now saying they were conducted entirely by US drones, and that the US never gave them any notice of the strikes.
The strikes, which the Yemeni government says killed at least 64 people, centered around the Abyan Province, but also hit the Bayda Province. Officials termed everyone killed an “insurgent.”
The US has declined to comment on any of the strikes, and has been largely silent on Yemen since early this month when they confirmed that US ground troops were attacked in Aden, an odd confirmation since the US had never announced sending ground troops to Yemen.
So far Yemen’s government has purely provided informational statements, and while they contradict one another significantly it doesn’t seem that there’s any official anger at the attacks, meaning only human rights groups are criticizing the US.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018