Yemen Says No Advanced Notice of Attacks
The Yemeni government continues to rewrite the story of the air strikes of the past several days, and is now saying they were conducted entirely by US drones, and that the US never gave them any notice of the strikes.
The strikes, which the Yemeni government says killed at least 64 people, centered around the Abyan Province, but also hit the Bayda Province. Officials termed everyone killed an “insurgent.”
The US has declined to comment on any of the strikes, and has been largely silent on Yemen since early this month when they confirmed that US ground troops were attacked in Aden, an odd confirmation since the US had never announced sending ground troops to Yemen.
So far Yemen’s government has purely provided informational statements, and while they contradict one another significantly it doesn’t seem that there’s any official anger at the attacks, meaning only human rights groups are criticizing the US.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Killing Far More Civilians in Syria Than They'll Admit - August 26th, 2016
- US, Russia Fail to Reach a Deal on Syria - August 26th, 2016
- US Continues to Cut Aid to Pakistan - August 26th, 2016
- PKK Bombs Turkish Police HQ in Southeast, Killing 11 - August 26th, 2016
- As Turkey Enters Syria, US Aims to Keep Them Happy - August 26th, 2016