The Yemeni government continues to rewrite the story of the air strikes of the past several days, and is now saying they were conducted entirely by US drones, and that the US never gave them any notice of the strikes.
The strikes, which the Yemeni government says killed at least 64 people, centered around the Abyan Province, but also hit the Bayda Province. Officials termed everyone killed an “insurgent.”
The US has declined to comment on any of the strikes, and has been largely silent on Yemen since early this month when they confirmed that US ground troops were attacked in Aden, an odd confirmation since the US had never announced sending ground troops to Yemen.
So far Yemen’s government has purely provided informational statements, and while they contradict one another significantly it doesn’t seem that there’s any official anger at the attacks, meaning only human rights groups are criticizing the US.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran Says Will Leave Iraq, Syria Only If Those Countries Want Them To - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Over 100 Taliban in Southeast Offensive - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Civilians in Eastern Air Operations - July 13th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 13th, 2018
- Kremlin Hails Trump as 'Negotiating Partner' Ahead of Summit - July 13th, 2018