The western-backed Syrian National Council (SNC) today claimed yet another massacre took place in the Homs Province, with “as many as 92” people killed. They followed this up with a demand for the United Nations to immediately back a foreign invasion.
It is the second “massacre” claimed in Homs in the past few days, following a few days of relative calm in the city after the expulsion of rebel fighters and a visit by a UN refugee official.
“We request urgent Arab and international military intervention,” the SNC leader said in a news council in Istanbul, Turkey, adding that they want a nationwide “no-fly zone” and air strikes against Syrian soldiers.
Former UN chief Kofi Annan, who has been appointed as the UN special envoy to Syria, has been trying to convince the rebels to enter talks with the Assad regime, but neither side seems to be altogether willing to do so. The latest call for war suggests that the SNC is not taking the effort seriously.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Declare ISIS 'Defeated' in Syria - March 23rd, 2019
- US Announces New Sanctions Against Iran, Targeting Former Nuclear Scientists - March 22nd, 2019
- Trump's Golan Heights Move Broadly Condemned Worldwide - March 22nd, 2019
- White House Again Declares Victory Over ISIS, But Fighting Continues - March 22nd, 2019
- Pompeo: 'Possible' God Sent Trump to Be Savior of Israel - March 22nd, 2019