Claims 'As Many as 92' Killed in Another Day of Violence
The western-backed Syrian National Council (SNC) today claimed yet another massacre took place in the Homs Province, with “as many as 92” people killed. They followed this up with a demand for the United Nations to immediately back a foreign invasion.
It is the second “massacre” claimed in Homs in the past few days, following a few days of relative calm in the city after the expulsion of rebel fighters and a visit by a UN refugee official.
“We request urgent Arab and international military intervention,” the SNC leader said in a news council in Istanbul, Turkey, adding that they want a nationwide “no-fly zone” and air strikes against Syrian soldiers.
Former UN chief Kofi Annan, who has been appointed as the UN special envoy to Syria, has been trying to convince the rebels to enter talks with the Assad regime, but neither side seems to be altogether willing to do so. The latest call for war suggests that the SNC is not taking the effort seriously.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- CIA Claims Russia Intervened to Get Trump Elected - December 9th, 2016
- Sec Def Tries to Lock Trump Into 'Enduring' Afghan War - December 9th, 2016
- Allies Warn Trump Against Cooperating With Russia Over Syria - December 9th, 2016
- Syrian Govt Controls 93% of Aleppo - December 9th, 2016
- Iraq Prepares Shift to 'Post-Mosul' ISIS War - December 9th, 2016