The western-backed Syrian National Council (SNC) today claimed yet another massacre took place in the Homs Province, with “as many as 92” people killed. They followed this up with a demand for the United Nations to immediately back a foreign invasion.
It is the second “massacre” claimed in Homs in the past few days, following a few days of relative calm in the city after the expulsion of rebel fighters and a visit by a UN refugee official.
“We request urgent Arab and international military intervention,” the SNC leader said in a news council in Istanbul, Turkey, adding that they want a nationwide “no-fly zone” and air strikes against Syrian soldiers.
Former UN chief Kofi Annan, who has been appointed as the UN special envoy to Syria, has been trying to convince the rebels to enter talks with the Assad regime, but neither side seems to be altogether willing to do so. The latest call for war suggests that the SNC is not taking the effort seriously.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- McCain: Putin Is a Bigger Threat Than ISIS - May 29th, 2017
- ISIS Car Bomb Kills 13 at Central Baghdad Ice Cream Parlor - May 29th, 2017
- Over 1,000 Syria Rebels Leave Damascus Area in Evacuation Deal - May 29th, 2017
- Iran Hardliners Accuse Rouhani of Voter Fraud - May 29th, 2017
- ISIS Shells East Syria City, Killing 14 Civilians - May 29th, 2017