Speaking on ABC’s “This Week” program today, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R – SC) shrugged off the massacre of 16 Afghans in Afghanistan’s Kandahar Province by an apparently drunken US soldier, insisting that “these things happen.”
“You just have to push through these things,” Graham insisted, adding that if the US kept occupying Afghanistan “we can win this thing” and that despite the massacre, progress was being made in the 11 year long occupation.
Graham went on to say that the key to the war was to make a public commitment to keep occupation forces in the country beyond 2014, saying that a continued military presence would “make sure the Taliban never come back.”
Uniformly hawkish, Graham has been at the forefront of shrugging off the recent Afghan disasters, insisting during the mass protests earlier this month over US military burnings of Qurans that the protests did not represent a “total picture” of the war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017