Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman condemned US and Russian officials for issuing statements seen as warning Israel against an attack on Iran. Lieberman insisted that the decision was Israel’s to make and “is not their business.”
The comments came shortly after a statement by Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov warning that an attack on Iran would be “catastrophic” for both the region and the “whole system of international relations.”
US officials have been less public in rejecting the notion of an Israeli attack, but do appear to be pressing Israel to delay an attack for a few months, with US officials even terming the weeks leading up to the US national election the “sweet spot” for a war.
Israeli officials seem to be particularly angry about Gen. Martin Dempsey’s comment that an Israeli attack wouldn’t be “wise at this moment,” with top Israeli officials accusing Dempsey of “aiding Iran” in making such statements.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pompeo Rejects EU Appeal for Iran Sanctions Exemptions - July 16th, 2018
- US Commander: Afghan ISIS Resilient to US Attacks, Almost Impossible to Defeat - July 16th, 2018
- Israel Attacks on Aleppo Air Base Killed at Least 22 - July 16th, 2018
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018