Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman condemned US and Russian officials for issuing statements seen as warning Israel against an attack on Iran. Lieberman insisted that the decision was Israel’s to make and “is not their business.”
The comments came shortly after a statement by Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov warning that an attack on Iran would be “catastrophic” for both the region and the “whole system of international relations.”
US officials have been less public in rejecting the notion of an Israeli attack, but do appear to be pressing Israel to delay an attack for a few months, with US officials even terming the weeks leading up to the US national election the “sweet spot” for a war.
Israeli officials seem to be particularly angry about Gen. Martin Dempsey’s comment that an Israeli attack wouldn’t be “wise at this moment,” with top Israeli officials accusing Dempsey of “aiding Iran” in making such statements.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Insists Qatar Demands Are 'Non-Negotiable' - June 27th, 2017