Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman condemned US and Russian officials for issuing statements seen as warning Israel against an attack on Iran. Lieberman insisted that the decision was Israel’s to make and “is not their business.”
The comments came shortly after a statement by Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov warning that an attack on Iran would be “catastrophic” for both the region and the “whole system of international relations.”
US officials have been less public in rejecting the notion of an Israeli attack, but do appear to be pressing Israel to delay an attack for a few months, with US officials even terming the weeks leading up to the US national election the “sweet spot” for a war.
Israeli officials seem to be particularly angry about Gen. Martin Dempsey’s comment that an Israeli attack wouldn’t be “wise at this moment,” with top Israeli officials accusing Dempsey of “aiding Iran” in making such statements.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018