Violence continued today across Syria, but the messages from opposition factions appear to be running at cross-purposes. On the one hand, some are describing massive civilian tolls and a city “under siege” in Homs, while others are claiming significant rebel gains.
Indeed, while some claimed rebel gains in certain neighborhoods of Homs, the opposition activists also claimed that the Free Syrian Army (FSA) had entirely expelled the Syrian military from Rastan.
Apart from being used to defend calls for an invaison, the pro-democracy protests seem to be an afterthought, with attention now turning to directly arming the FSA and other opposition factions in the civil war.
Still, any day in Homs has to produce at least one entertaining story, with the latest being claims that the opposition is using carrier pigeons to relay messages from neighborhood to neighborhood. Interestingly, they revealed their use of carrier pigeons on Youtube.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017