What appears to be a US spy drone has crashed into the Badbado refugee camp in Somalia’s capital of Mogadishu. The drone, reportedly being used for surveillance, destroyed a makeshift shelter constructed by refugees.
Officials said they hadn’t yet confirmed that it was a US drone, but the US is the only nation that flies drones in Somali airspace. US-backed African Union troops recovered the drone’s wreckage.
There were no injuries in the crash. A police officer with the self-proclaimed Somali government said a similar surveillance drone crashed into a home just outside the camp last year.
US drones have been used for both surveillance and targeted assassinations inside Somalia over the past several months. Officials have suggested that the US drone presence is likely to grow in the future, as more drones will be operating in both Somalia and nearby Yemen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran Says Will Leave Iraq, Syria Only If Those Countries Want Them To - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Over 100 Taliban in Southeast Offensive - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Civilians in Eastern Air Operations - July 13th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 13th, 2018
- Kremlin Hails Trump as 'Negotiating Partner' Ahead of Summit - July 13th, 2018