What appears to be a US spy drone has crashed into the Badbado refugee camp in Somalia’s capital of Mogadishu. The drone, reportedly being used for surveillance, destroyed a makeshift shelter constructed by refugees.
Officials said they hadn’t yet confirmed that it was a US drone, but the US is the only nation that flies drones in Somali airspace. US-backed African Union troops recovered the drone’s wreckage.
There were no injuries in the crash. A police officer with the self-proclaimed Somali government said a similar surveillance drone crashed into a home just outside the camp last year.
US drones have been used for both surveillance and targeted assassinations inside Somalia over the past several months. Officials have suggested that the US drone presence is likely to grow in the future, as more drones will be operating in both Somalia and nearby Yemen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Airstrike Kills at Least 10 Civilians in Northern Yemen - March 22nd, 2018
- John Bolton to Replace McMaster as National Security Adviser - March 22nd, 2018
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018