What appears to be a US spy drone has crashed into the Badbado refugee camp in Somalia’s capital of Mogadishu. The drone, reportedly being used for surveillance, destroyed a makeshift shelter constructed by refugees.
Officials said they hadn’t yet confirmed that it was a US drone, but the US is the only nation that flies drones in Somali airspace. US-backed African Union troops recovered the drone’s wreckage.
There were no injuries in the crash. A police officer with the self-proclaimed Somali government said a similar surveillance drone crashed into a home just outside the camp last year.
US drones have been used for both surveillance and targeted assassinations inside Somalia over the past several months. Officials have suggested that the US drone presence is likely to grow in the future, as more drones will be operating in both Somalia and nearby Yemen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018
- Afghans Head to Polls Amid Corruption, Taliban Threats - October 19th, 2018