With Free Syrian Army (FSA) forces in the streets of Damascus suburbs and gunfire reported in major cities, Syrian President Bashar Assad’s position appears entirely safe in the near term. Reports of the regime leader showing up at Damascus restaurants with an extremely relaxed attitude point to the reality that his regime has spent a long time preparing to hold power in the face of an insurrection.
Though a number of experts believe that Assad will eventually be forced from power, “eventually” could be an extremely long time, and it seems the Syrian government is prepared for a protracted civil war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017