Navy spokesman Lt. Commander Mike Kafka today confirmed plans to deploy a large “mothership” for commando forces to the Middle East, though he declined to specify exactly where the ship would go or why.
The ship, sort of a “floating base” for Navy SEALs, could be used for attacks on any number of targets, from Yemen to Somalia to Iran. It typifies the Obama Administration’s new strategy of using special operations forces more and more in its assort military adventures as a way of increasing flexibility and avoiding massive ground occupations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran FM Says US 'Action Group' Will Fail to Overthrow Iran - August 19th, 2018
- North Korea Praises Trump, Bashes His Critics - August 19th, 2018
- As Afghan President Announces Ceasefire, Pompeo Says 'Time for Peace' - August 19th, 2018
- Iraq Supreme Court Ratifies Election Results, Sadr Still Leads - August 19th, 2018
- Pentagon Spokesman: US to Stay in Iraq as Long as Needed - August 19th, 2018