Navy spokesman Lt. Commander Mike Kafka today confirmed plans to deploy a large “mothership” for commando forces to the Middle East, though he declined to specify exactly where the ship would go or why.
The ship, sort of a “floating base” for Navy SEALs, could be used for attacks on any number of targets, from Yemen to Somalia to Iran. It typifies the Obama Administration’s new strategy of using special operations forces more and more in its assort military adventures as a way of increasing flexibility and avoiding massive ground occupations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017