Clinton Tells Iraq to 'Act Like a Democracy'
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton today warned Iraq not to “blow this opportunity” to become a unified nation, urging the existing unity government to “act like a democracy.”
Iraq’s democratic bonafides appear to be deteriorating rapidly, with Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki ordering the mass arrests of his political opponents and handing out frequent accusations of “terrorism.”
Ironically, the US loudly endorsed Maliki in his efforts to arrest his Vice President as a terrorist, saying that it was the result of a “free and fair investigation.”
It is indeed unlikely that Clinton really objects to Maliki’s tactics so much as his inefficiency in “acting like” a democrat, an effort which has not only failed to fool anyone but has also drawn him international scorn for his widespread use of torture and shocking number of executions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Security Council Condemns Israeli Settlement Expansion - October 30th, 2014
- Mass Graves Discovered: 228 Sunni Tribesmen Executed by ISIS in Anbar - October 30th, 2014
- Israeli DM Scraps Plan to Buy US Osprey Warplanes - October 30th, 2014
- Gen. Dempsey: Send 'Advisers' to Front Lines in Anbar Province - October 30th, 2014
- Pentagon Warns US Soldiers to 'Mask Their Identities' - October 30th, 2014