Clinton Tells Iraq to 'Act Like a Democracy'
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton today warned Iraq not to “blow this opportunity” to become a unified nation, urging the existing unity government to “act like a democracy.”
Iraq’s democratic bonafides appear to be deteriorating rapidly, with Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki ordering the mass arrests of his political opponents and handing out frequent accusations of “terrorism.”
Ironically, the US loudly endorsed Maliki in his efforts to arrest his Vice President as a terrorist, saying that it was the result of a “free and fair investigation.”
It is indeed unlikely that Clinton really objects to Maliki’s tactics so much as his inefficiency in “acting like” a democrat, an effort which has not only failed to fool anyone but has also drawn him international scorn for his widespread use of torture and shocking number of executions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Lost Cause or Not, Gulf States Expected to Keep Arming Syrian Rebels - December 9th, 2016
- CIA Claims Russia Intervened to Get Trump Elected - December 9th, 2016
- Sec Def Tries to Lock Trump Into 'Enduring' Afghan War - December 9th, 2016
- Allies Warn Trump Against Cooperating With Russia Over Syria - December 9th, 2016
- Syrian Govt Controls 93% of Aleppo - December 9th, 2016