Clinton Tells Iraq to 'Act Like a Democracy'
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton today warned Iraq not to “blow this opportunity” to become a unified nation, urging the existing unity government to “act like a democracy.”
Iraq’s democratic bonafides appear to be deteriorating rapidly, with Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki ordering the mass arrests of his political opponents and handing out frequent accusations of “terrorism.”
Ironically, the US loudly endorsed Maliki in his efforts to arrest his Vice President as a terrorist, saying that it was the result of a “free and fair investigation.”
It is indeed unlikely that Clinton really objects to Maliki’s tactics so much as his inefficiency in “acting like” a democrat, an effort which has not only failed to fool anyone but has also drawn him international scorn for his widespread use of torture and shocking number of executions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrike Kills 15-20 Civilians at Iraqi Funeral Procession Near Kirkuk - October 23rd, 2016
- Heavily Dug In ISIS Forces in Libya's Sirte Continue to Resist Offensives - October 21st, 2016
- Turkey DM Claims US Eager to Work With Them on Raqqa Invasion - October 21st, 2016
- Turkey: 18 PKK Killed in Attacks in SE Turkey, Northern Iraq - October 21st, 2016
- Turkey Continues Attacks After Killing 200 Syrian Kurds - October 21st, 2016