Large Quantities of Weapons Smuggled Out of Country
A new UN report warned that despite the repeated efforts by the NATO-backed NTC government as well as US and other officials deployed to Libya to try to secure the border, large quantities of weapons have managed to find their way out of the country into the neighboring Sahel region.
The Sahel is a belt which spans Northern Africa just south of the Libyan border. The UN report cautioned that now that the arms were outside Libya they could spread across the continent, and were likely to reach the Boko Haram faction in Nigeria as well as al-Qaeda’s auxiliary in the area, al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb (AQIM).
AQIM has said as much several times, terming themselves one of the “main beneficiaries” of the NATO-backed civil war in Libya. The exact extent of the weapons looted from the Gadhafi regime’s arsenals are so vast they will likely never be fully accounted for.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Britain Will Require Google, Others to Keep Logs of Users' Activities - November 23rd, 2014
- Planned Israeli Bill Would Revoke Residency for 'Bad People' and Their Relatives - November 23rd, 2014
- British Troops in Iraq Killing ISIS Fighters Daily - November 23rd, 2014
- US to Buy Arms for Sunni Tribes in Anbar Province - November 23rd, 2014
- Kenyan Troops Raid Somalia, Kill 100 Over Saturday Bus Attack - November 23rd, 2014