Obama Praises Panetta in Wake of Attack on Kidnappers
At least nine people were killed overnight when US Navy Seals attacked a compound in Somalia, freeing a pair of foreign hostages. US officials say that none of the soldiers involved was injured in the raid.
President Obama praised the attack, saying it proved that the US “will spare no effort to secure the safety of our citizens and to bring their captors to justice.” He was also reported to have praised Defense Secretary Leon Panetta for the attack at his State of the Union speech Tuesday night, saying “Leon. Good job tonight.”
The nine people killed were all reported to have been involved in the kidnapping, but their actual identities were not clear. Officials say that none of them had any known links with any militant factions in Somalia, nor any links with any pirate groups. Despite this, President Obama termed them all “criminals and pirates.”
The Seals from the offensive were reportedly from the same unit as those who attacked Abbottabad, Pakistan last year and assassinated Osama bin Laden.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia: West 'Not Ready' for Single Anti-ISIS Coalition - November 27th, 2015
- Erdogan: Russia 'Playing With Fire' in Attacking Syrian Rebels - November 27th, 2015
- Putin Asks France for Map of Syria's Anti-ISIS Rebels to Avoid Bombing Them - November 27th, 2015
- NSA Bulk Phone Surveillance 'Shuts Down'; To Be Replaced by Near-Identical Scheme - November 27th, 2015
- British Foreign Office Warns Saudi Arms Sales Risk War Crimes Prosecutions - November 27th, 2015