Obama Praises Panetta in Wake of Attack on Kidnappers
At least nine people were killed overnight when US Navy Seals attacked a compound in Somalia, freeing a pair of foreign hostages. US officials say that none of the soldiers involved was injured in the raid.
President Obama praised the attack, saying it proved that the US “will spare no effort to secure the safety of our citizens and to bring their captors to justice.” He was also reported to have praised Defense Secretary Leon Panetta for the attack at his State of the Union speech Tuesday night, saying “Leon. Good job tonight.”
The nine people killed were all reported to have been involved in the kidnapping, but their actual identities were not clear. Officials say that none of them had any known links with any militant factions in Somalia, nor any links with any pirate groups. Despite this, President Obama termed them all “criminals and pirates.”
The Seals from the offensive were reportedly from the same unit as those who attacked Abbottabad, Pakistan last year and assassinated Osama bin Laden.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Results of US MOAB Strike in Afghanistan Remain Uncertain - April 23rd, 2017
- Taliban Attack on North Afghanistan Army Base Kills At Least 163 - April 23rd, 2017
- Mattis: US to Increase Support for Saudis in Yemen - April 23rd, 2017
- Israel Attacks Syrian Army Base, Killing Three - April 23rd, 2017
- Al-Qaeda Leader: Syrian Jihadists Should Wage 'Patient' Guerilla War - April 23rd, 2017