Libya’s National Transitional Council has reportedly recognized the “Warfallah Elders Council,” (WEC) a tribal faction, as the rightful government of the town of Bani Walid, following meetings between the WEC leadership and the Defense Minister
“We told him we want to keep the whole country peaceful and that national unity was a priority,” insisted WEC member Salah al-Maayuf. The WEC chased pro-NTC militia forces out of Bani Walid earlier this week, with officials at the time claiming they were “Gadhafi loyalists.”
The exact agenda of the WEC is unclear, but they apparently were the ones who raised the green flag of Gadhafi’s Libya over the town after the battles earlier this week. The Warfallah tribe represents a large portion of the town’s population, and apparently objected to the occupying militia.
Bani Walid was one of the last towns captured by the NTC, and it was overrun by militias in the wake of multiple NATO air strikes. The weeks of siege leading to the occupation of Bani Walid were particularly ugly, and it is unsurprising that the locals, represented by WEC, weren’t keen to continue hosting those who starved and bombed them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018