With tensions already on the rise, Wired.com’s Danger Room is reporting today that a new US commando team, known as the Joint Special Operations Task Force-GCC (JSOTF-GCC), is operating in a number of countries near Iran. The military has not previously acknowledged that the JSOTF-GCC even existed.
The group is said to be designed to “confront irregular threats.” The GCC includes a number of Gulf Arab states as well as Saudi Arabia, and was the organization behind the Saudi-led invasion of Bahrain to put down pro-democracy protests in that nation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Strikes Kill Scores in Syria's Eastern Ghouta in the Past 24 Hours - February 19th, 2018
- Israel Arming at Least Seven Syrian Rebel Groups - February 19th, 2018
- Turkey Warns Syrian Army Against Supporting Kurds in Afrin - February 19th, 2018
- ISIS Ambushes Shi'ite Militia in Iraq, Killing 27 - February 19th, 2018
- Ex-CIA Chief: US Meddles in Foreign Elections, But 'Only for a Very Good Cause' - February 18th, 2018