With tensions already on the rise, Wired.com’s Danger Room is reporting today that a new US commando team, known as the Joint Special Operations Task Force-GCC (JSOTF-GCC), is operating in a number of countries near Iran. The military has not previously acknowledged that the JSOTF-GCC even existed.
The group is said to be designed to “confront irregular threats.” The GCC includes a number of Gulf Arab states as well as Saudi Arabia, and was the organization behind the Saudi-led invasion of Bahrain to put down pro-democracy protests in that nation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Might Okay 'Non-Nuclear' Iran Sanctions - December 12th, 2013
- Obama Adds to Iran Sanctions, Warns Congress Not to Act - December 12th, 2013
- UN Report: Chemical Weapons 'Probably Used' Five Times in Syria - December 12th, 2013
- US Threatens Ukraine Sanctions Over Protest Crackdown - December 12th, 2013
- Syrian Islamists Kill 15 Alawite, Druze Civilians in Adra - December 12th, 2013