With tensions already on the rise, Wired.com’s Danger Room is reporting today that a new US commando team, known as the Joint Special Operations Task Force-GCC (JSOTF-GCC), is operating in a number of countries near Iran. The military has not previously acknowledged that the JSOTF-GCC even existed.
The group is said to be designed to “confront irregular threats.” The GCC includes a number of Gulf Arab states as well as Saudi Arabia, and was the organization behind the Saudi-led invasion of Bahrain to put down pro-democracy protests in that nation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Escalation in North Syria's Aleppo Adds to Humanitarian Woes - September 24th, 2016
- Over 300 Civilians Killed in Yemen Since Early August Ceasefire Ended - September 23rd, 2016
- US Drone Destroys Car in Eastern Yemen, Killing Four 'Suspects' - September 23rd, 2016
- Syria Vows 'Comprehensive' Ground Invasion of Aleppo - September 23rd, 2016
- Erdogan Accuses US of Major Arms Shipment to Syrian Kurds - September 23rd, 2016