Speaking today on Iranian television, Parliamentary Speaker Ali Larijani announced that Iran has arrested several suspects over the assassination of nuclear scientist Mostafa Ahmadi Rohsan last week.
“Investigation is underway to identify the terrorists and details about the assassination,” Larijani added. Iranian officials have blamed the United States and Israel for the killing, terming it “state-sponsored terrorism.”
And indeed, the British Sunday Times has also reported the Israeli Mossad were behind the killing, citing “unnamed Israeli sources” who argued that the assassination was a prelude to a military attack, saying Israel was hoping to ensure Iran could not rebuild the nuclear sites the war would destroy.
A number of US presidential candidates have praised the assassination as well, expressing hope that the United States was involved in the killing and promising more such killings if elected.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018