From Afghan President Hamid Karzai to tribal elders in the far southern Helmand Province, reaction is coming out from the leaked video showing four US Marines urinating on slain Afghans, and unsurprisingly it is uniformly negative. Interestingly enough the only group that appears unfazed by the video is the Taliban insurgency, which yesterday commented that they didn’t need to see the video to remind them they were at war with an occupying force. For other Afghans, the video is just another reminder of the fiasco of a decade-long occupation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Slams Human Rights Groups, Blames Them for Leaving UN Human Rights Council - June 20th, 2018
- Afghan Govt Offers to Extend Taliban Ceasefire for Another Year - June 20th, 2018
- Taliban Seizes Afghan Military Base, Kills 30 Soldiers - June 20th, 2018
- Iraqi Cleric Sadr Struggles With Forming Coalition Government - June 20th, 2018
- Fears for Yemen Civilians as Fighting Reaches Hodeidah Residential Areas - June 20th, 2018