Following up on Friday’s reports from the Jonglei state of South Sudan, the United Nations’ top official in South Sudan says there is “no evidence” to support the claims that a massacre took place against the Murle people in the region.
The reports of the massacre in Pibor County had been supported by County Commissioner Joshua Konyi, who claimed that 3,141 bodies had already been recovered and that over 1,000 children were missing after the attack.
Though the UN said that the claims of such a massive death toll were untrue, they did appear to confirm that violence took place, warning that a large number of homes had been torched and that a number of people had been displaced by the raids.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017