At least 20 people were killed today and another 50 were wounded in a suicide bomb attack against a funeral procession in the city of Taloqan, in Afghanistan’s northern Takhar Province.
The funeral was for a top tribal leader, and MP Mutalib Bik was reportedly among the slain. Security officials say that Bik, who was the former provincial police chief, was likely the target of the attack, and that all the rest of the victims were civilians.
So far no group has claimed credit for the attack, but officials condemned the Taliban for the incident, pointing to Bik’s history of leading anti-Taliban offensives in Afghanistan’s far north.
Attacks in Takhar have been rare through the decade-long NATO occupation, but several have happened in the past few months as the Taliban has gained a foothold in the area, which before the invasion was mostly outside of their control.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018