Signing the massive “omnibus” spending bill into law today, President Barack Obama issued a formal signing statement indicating that he ends to pick and choose which portions of the new law he intends to follow and which he intends to ignore.
The two foreign policy provisions he intends to ignore are one limiting his ability to transfer detainees out of Guantanamo Bay, and one which would limit his ability to place US troops under foreign command, both of which he said would be ignored to “avoid constitutional conflicts.”
President Obama also rejected all provisions which require him to clear spending with appropriators, saying that he will not seek congressional approval for his spending decisions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Delivering Excavation Equipment to Syria's Kurdish YPG - April 22nd, 2019
- Appeals Court Won't Release Chelsea Manning From Jail - April 22nd, 2019
- Bernie Sanders Seeks Override of Trump's Yemen Veto - April 22nd, 2019
- US Offers $10 Million to 'Disrupt' Hezbollah Finances - April 22nd, 2019
- US Ends Iran Waivers, Raising Global Oil Prices - April 22nd, 2019