The last remnants of the US occupation force are returning home this month (at least until they are deployed to Afghanistan), but 1.3 million Iraqi IDPs (internally displaced persons) and well over a million other refugees abroad remain far from home. With the nation redrawn around largely sectarian lines, the answer may be that the Iraqis will never return to their original homes, and growing sectarian tensions threaten to drive even more out.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017