The last remnants of the US occupation force are returning home this month (at least until they are deployed to Afghanistan), but 1.3 million Iraqi IDPs (internally displaced persons) and well over a million other refugees abroad remain far from home. With the nation redrawn around largely sectarian lines, the answer may be that the Iraqis will never return to their original homes, and growing sectarian tensions threaten to drive even more out.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018
- Afghan Civilian Deaths Hit Record High, Says UN - July 15th, 2018