The last remnants of the US occupation force are returning home this month (at least until they are deployed to Afghanistan), but 1.3 million Iraqi IDPs (internally displaced persons) and well over a million other refugees abroad remain far from home. With the nation redrawn around largely sectarian lines, the answer may be that the Iraqis will never return to their original homes, and growing sectarian tensions threaten to drive even more out.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018
- Afghans Head to Polls Amid Corruption, Taliban Threats - October 19th, 2018