The last remnants of the US occupation force are returning home this month (at least until they are deployed to Afghanistan), but 1.3 million Iraqi IDPs (internally displaced persons) and well over a million other refugees abroad remain far from home. With the nation redrawn around largely sectarian lines, the answer may be that the Iraqis will never return to their original homes, and growing sectarian tensions threaten to drive even more out.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army Makes Major Gains in Eastern Ghouta - March 23rd, 2018
- Kurdish Rebels Flee Iraq Border Area, Anticipating Turkish Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Trump Signs New Bill Slashing Aid to Palestinians - March 23rd, 2018
- Russia Intends to Substantially Cut Military Spending Over Next Five Years - March 23rd, 2018
- Majority of $1.3 Trillion US Omnibus Spending Bill Goes to Military - March 23rd, 2018