The last remnants of the US occupation force are returning home this month (at least until they are deployed to Afghanistan), but 1.3 million Iraqi IDPs (internally displaced persons) and well over a million other refugees abroad remain far from home. With the nation redrawn around largely sectarian lines, the answer may be that the Iraqis will never return to their original homes, and growing sectarian tensions threaten to drive even more out.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russian, Syrian Airstrikes in Aleppo Province Displace Hundreds - December 12th, 2017
- Congress Ignores Trump's Iran Deal Deadline - December 12th, 2017
- Two Islamic Jihad Militants Killed in Gaza Blast - December 12th, 2017
- Trump Signs $692 Billion Military Spending Bill - December 12th, 2017
- USAID Chief: No Sign Saudis Easing Yemen Blockade - December 12th, 2017