Anti-regime demonstrators organized a nationwide strike in Syria today, an effort to protest rising violence nationwide which closed down most of Homs as well as major portions of other cities nationwide.
The violence continued however, with regime forces battling defectors in the far southern city of Daraa and reports of clashes around the Idlib Province. At least 23 were killed today, bringing the three day toll to 80.
Reports say that the strikers closed a major factory in the key northern city of Aleppo, and that troops attacked and destroyed the factory in retaliation. The troops also reportedly looted several closed businesses in Homs.
Violence was also reported at the Syrian embassy in Amman, Jordan, were Syrian nationals living in exile in the country attacked the embassy , wounding six people.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas Meet Again With UN on Border Disarmament - October 21st, 2018
- US Denies Killing Syrian Civilians, Says Mosque Was 'Valid Military Target' - October 21st, 2018
- Security Woes, Irregularities Mar Afghanistan's Second Day of Voting - October 21st, 2018
- US General Wounded During Thursday Insider Attack in Afghanistan - October 21st, 2018
- Saudi FM: We Don't Know How Khashoggi Was Killed - October 21st, 2018