In the wake of the deadly Kabul suicide bombings against Shi’ites, an attack roundly condemned even by the Taliban leadership, NATO officials are saying that provoking the Taliban into being as brutal as possible would be an extremely useful thing for the occupation forces in the nation. The theory, which has been pushed chiefly by the US, is that if they can convince the Taliban to commit more atrocities it would “alienate the population” and make the NATO-backed regime seem better by comparison.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Mattis Claims White House Threat to Syria Worked - June 28th, 2017
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017