A federal judge in Oregon has ruled that bloggers who aren’t affiliated with what the government recognizes as a mainstream “news outlet” don’t have the same rights to freedom of the press enshrined in the First Amendment as members of the mainstream media.
The ruling was related to a lawsuit against a blogger in Montana who posted information critical of an Oregon attorney handling a bankruptcy case. A state shield law is also in place which would have protected officially approved journalists from being sued for a similar article.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017