A federal judge in Oregon has ruled that bloggers who aren’t affiliated with what the government recognizes as a mainstream “news outlet” don’t have the same rights to freedom of the press enshrined in the First Amendment as members of the mainstream media.
The ruling was related to a lawsuit against a blogger in Montana who posted information critical of an Oregon attorney handling a bankruptcy case. A state shield law is also in place which would have protected officially approved journalists from being sued for a similar article.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Top Afghan Officials in Insider Attack - October 18th, 2018
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018
- Koreans Hold Talks With UN on Demilitarizing the Border - October 17th, 2018
- Pentagon Exaggerates ISIS Foreign Fighter Estimates to Justify Staying in Syria - October 17th, 2018
- Afghan Candidate Killed by Bomb Under His Office Chair - October 17th, 2018