Speaking today in Petrozavodsk, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said that the eastern European member nations in NATO had been forced into the missile defense shield scheme.
The US shield has been a matter of major contention for years, and even when it was abandoned in favor of an alliance-wide deal, the deployment of missiles along the Russian frontier has sparked major concern from the Russian military.
Efforts to placate Russian involved a tie the new system into the existing Russian air defense system, but the deal kept the two systems independent while Russia wanted them to be merged entirely to prove that the missiles weren’t being deployed against Russia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalonia Threatens Civil Disobedience as Spain Prepares Takeover - October 23rd, 2017
- Senators 'Stunned' to Learn US Has 1,000 Troops in Niger - October 23rd, 2017
- US to Put Nuclear Bombers Back on 24-Hour Alert - October 23rd, 2017
- Niger Mayor: Villagers Suspected of Helping in Ambush of US Troops - October 23rd, 2017
- Iraqi Troops Build Up Near Key Kurdish Oil Export Pipeline - October 23rd, 2017