Speaking today in Petrozavodsk, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said that the eastern European member nations in NATO had been forced into the missile defense shield scheme.
The US shield has been a matter of major contention for years, and even when it was abandoned in favor of an alliance-wide deal, the deployment of missiles along the Russian frontier has sparked major concern from the Russian military.
Efforts to placate Russian involved a tie the new system into the existing Russian air defense system, but the deal kept the two systems independent while Russia wanted them to be merged entirely to prove that the missiles weren’t being deployed against Russia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrike Killed 14 Civilians in Northern Afghanistan - July 20th, 2018
- US Adds Another $200 Million to Ukraine Military Aid - July 20th, 2018
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018