Speaking today in Petrozavodsk, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said that the eastern European member nations in NATO had been forced into the missile defense shield scheme.
The US shield has been a matter of major contention for years, and even when it was abandoned in favor of an alliance-wide deal, the deployment of missiles along the Russian frontier has sparked major concern from the Russian military.
Efforts to placate Russian involved a tie the new system into the existing Russian air defense system, but the deal kept the two systems independent while Russia wanted them to be merged entirely to prove that the missiles weren’t being deployed against Russia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Multiple Bombings Kill 40 Across Pakistan - June 23rd, 2017
- Obama Ordered Cyberweapons Implanted Into Russia's Infrastructure - June 23rd, 2017
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017