Speaking today in Petrozavodsk, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said that the eastern European member nations in NATO had been forced into the missile defense shield scheme.
The US shield has been a matter of major contention for years, and even when it was abandoned in favor of an alliance-wide deal, the deployment of missiles along the Russian frontier has sparked major concern from the Russian military.
Efforts to placate Russian involved a tie the new system into the existing Russian air defense system, but the deal kept the two systems independent while Russia wanted them to be merged entirely to prove that the missiles weren’t being deployed against Russia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Candidate Killed by Bomb Under His Office Chair - October 17th, 2018
- Trump: US Won't 'Walk Away From Saudi Arabia' - October 17th, 2018
- Report: Saudis Dismembered Journalist While He Was Still Alive, Audio Recording Shows - October 17th, 2018
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018