Publicly, US officials insisted that Amir Sairafi, a high profile Iranian trader in Dubai, was a major member of an illegal nuclear smuggling ring working for the Iranian government. Those accusations were repeated far and wide, until he got to court. Once he arrived in a US courtroom, the allegations ceased and he was simply accused of violating the US trading ban. Sairafi says he never had ties with the Iranian government and he believes the effort was entirely for show, an effort to discourage non-Americans from doing any business with Iran.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Peshmerga: Iraqi Offensive Is a 'Declaration of War' - October 16th, 2017
- Thousands Flee as Iraqi Forces Seize Kirkuk - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon Backs Away as US Allies Prepare to Battle in Iraqi Kurdistan - October 16th, 2017
- North Korea Rejects US Talks Amid Threats - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Ratchets Up Threats as Catalonia Refuses to Respond - October 16th, 2017