Publicly, US officials insisted that Amir Sairafi, a high profile Iranian trader in Dubai, was a major member of an illegal nuclear smuggling ring working for the Iranian government. Those accusations were repeated far and wide, until he got to court. Once he arrived in a US courtroom, the allegations ceased and he was simply accused of violating the US trading ban. Sairafi says he never had ties with the Iranian government and he believes the effort was entirely for show, an effort to discourage non-Americans from doing any business with Iran.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pompeo Rejects EU Appeal for Iran Sanctions Exemptions - July 16th, 2018
- US Commander: Afghan ISIS Resilient to US Attacks, Almost Impossible to Defeat - July 16th, 2018
- Israel Attacks on Aleppo Air Base Killed at Least 22 - July 16th, 2018
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018