In an interview today with Reuters, high profile human rights lawyer Clive Stafford Smith, who has represented several of the detainees at Guantanamo Bay and won the 2005 Gandhi International Peace Award condemned the US drone campaigns in Pakistan and elsewhere, calling the policy “scandalous” and saying it was “absolutely disgusting” how many times drones were killing and maiming civilians.
Stafford Smith said the drone campaign was not just illegal but was a long-term nightmare, because it was creating large numbers of new enemies in Pakistan’s tribal areas.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- New US Sanctions Target North Korea's Trading Partners, Banks - September 21st, 2017
- Catalan Officials: Police Raids Are a Blow to Referendum - September 21st, 2017
- Russia Warns It Would Retaliate Against US Forces in Syria If Provoked - September 21st, 2017
- Tillerson: Iran 'Technically' Complying With Nuclear Deal - September 21st, 2017
- South Korea Unexpectedly Approves Aid to North - September 21st, 2017