The death toll of the violence in the city of Damaturu in northeastern Nigeria has continued to rise throughout the day, with local officials saying that over 150 bodies have been counted and that more may still be coming.
The attacks centered around Damaturu but spanned the rest of the Yobe and Borno Provinces as well. The Boko Haram faction has reportedly claimed credit for the attacks, and President Jonathan cancelled a planned vacation to deal with the situation.
Boko Haram got its start as a luddite faction, rejecting all technology developed since the time of Mohamed and angrily condemning the notion that the earth is round. The group began arming itself with bows and arrows before being massacred by the Nigerian military. Since then, the group has adopted more modern terror tactics, launching a number of major bombings.
The US has also committed itself to fighting the faction, and officials have reportedly warned Nigeria that the faction might target the Nigerian capital soon, with strikes likely to target luxury hotels popular with foreigners.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Despite Assurances, Legality of Trump Nuclear Strike May Not Matter - November 22nd, 2017
- Israeli Forces Demolish Brand New Family Home in East Jerusalem - November 22nd, 2017
- East Ukraine in Turmoil Amid Claimed 'Coup' in Luhansk - November 22nd, 2017
- US Asked for Saudis to Ease Yemen Blockade - November 22nd, 2017
- Local Afghan Leaders Protest Deadly US Strikes on 'Heroin Labs' - November 22nd, 2017