In comments today, an unnamed US military official termed Iran the “biggest threat to the United States and to our interests,” comments that add all the more speculation about a potential US or Israeli attack on the nation.
At the same time, the official conceded that Iran doesn’t want to provoke a conflict and that the US “don’t know” if Iran has decided to make a nuclear weapon, despite repeated allegations that they not only have decided to do so, but are nearing completion.
Of course, officials have been making those claims for years, even decades, and despite Iran always being a couple of years away from a weapon they never seem to actually complete one. To that end, the threats against Iran likewise are nothing new, and the US has been threatening to attack Iran virtually non-stop since the Iranian Revolution.
Whether or not this is the one time in the past 32 years those threats should be taken seriously, it seems certain that the threats will increase tensions across the Gulf region, and will be used by US politicians and military leaders to lobby for spending programs to aid in the war which is always about to break out.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017