A high profile “reintegration” plan involving allegedly key Taliban forces has become a complete disaster on several levels. Two “Taliban leaders” were supposed to show up and surrender their weapons in front of former US Ambassador Karl Eikenberry, but no one told the US forces guarding the compound, who captured the armed men en route to the event. Later, officials found out they weren’t even real Taliban, they were actors hired by the governor to “curry favor with Eikenberry.” Is it any wonder the peace talks never go anywhere?
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Struggles With Fighting Between Turkey, Syrian Kurds, Two Key Allies - January 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Escalates Attack on Syrian Kurds - January 22nd, 2018
- Syrian Kurds May Send Reinforcements to Afrin to Fight Turkey - January 22nd, 2018
- Facebook Will Use Surveys to Decide What Is 'Trustworthy' News - January 22nd, 2018
- Pence Praises 'the Miracle of Israel,' Pledges Embassy Move in 2019 - January 22nd, 2018