Israeli Officials Condemn Attempt to Deliver Aid as 'Deplorable Propaganda'
Israeli warships are on the move tonight, preparing to attack a pair of aid vessels from Ireland and Canada which are attempting to deliver medical supplies to the Gaza Strip, insisting they will “take whatever measures will be necessary” to prevent the ships from reaching Gaza.
Israeli officials were quick to condemn the move as a “provocation” and claimed that an attempt to deliver aid amounted to a “deplorable propaganda exercise.” The ships are currently in international waters.
The ships left from the Turkish port of Fethiye today, and were supposed to sail to Rhodes, according to Turkish officials. Instead the ships are heading to Gaza, with 19 activists and five journalists between them.
The sail was something of a surprise and activists from the two ships said they deliberately kept a low profile until reaching international waters, fearing that they would be detained in port or sabotaged like previous ships.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Might Okay 'Non-Nuclear' Iran Sanctions - December 12th, 2013
- Obama Adds to Iran Sanctions, Warns Congress Not to Act - December 12th, 2013
- UN Report: Chemical Weapons 'Probably Used' Five Times in Syria - December 12th, 2013
- US Threatens Ukraine Sanctions Over Protest Crackdown - December 12th, 2013
- Syrian Islamists Kill 15 Alawite, Druze Civilians in Adra - December 12th, 2013