Systematic torture inside Afghan government prisons was a big story when the United Nations released a report detailing the enormous level of mistreatment, and NATO announced it would stop transferring detainees to those prisons. It didn’t catch anyone in the US military by surprise, however, as US officials now admit they had several warnings about the abuse in US-funded prisons and sat on the story until the UN report broke.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Officials: New Sanctions Proceeding Against Russia - February 21st, 2018
- Hundreds Killed in Three Days of Fighting in Syria's Eastern Ghouta - February 21st, 2018
- Abbas, Haley Trade Barbs Over Peace Process at UN Security Council - February 20th, 2018
- 29 Killed in Afghanistan Attacks - February 20th, 2018
- Russia Confirms Several Dozen Citizens Killed in US Strike - February 20th, 2018