Systematic torture inside Afghan government prisons was a big story when the United Nations released a report detailing the enormous level of mistreatment, and NATO announced it would stop transferring detainees to those prisons. It didn’t catch anyone in the US military by surprise, however, as US officials now admit they had several warnings about the abuse in US-funded prisons and sat on the story until the UN report broke.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Despite Assurances, Legality of Trump Nuclear Strike May Not Matter - November 22nd, 2017
- Israeli Forces Demolish Brand New Family Home in East Jerusalem - November 22nd, 2017
- East Ukraine in Turmoil Amid Claimed 'Coup' in Luhansk - November 22nd, 2017
- US Asked for Saudis to Ease Yemen Blockade - November 22nd, 2017
- Local Afghan Leaders Protest Deadly US Strikes on 'Heroin Labs' - November 22nd, 2017