Systematic torture inside Afghan government prisons was a big story when the United Nations released a report detailing the enormous level of mistreatment, and NATO announced it would stop transferring detainees to those prisons. It didn’t catch anyone in the US military by surprise, however, as US officials now admit they had several warnings about the abuse in US-funded prisons and sat on the story until the UN report broke.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017