Systematic torture inside Afghan government prisons was a big story when the United Nations released a report detailing the enormous level of mistreatment, and NATO announced it would stop transferring detainees to those prisons. It didn’t catch anyone in the US military by surprise, however, as US officials now admit they had several warnings about the abuse in US-funded prisons and sat on the story until the UN report broke.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- New US Sanctions Target North Korea's Trading Partners, Banks - September 21st, 2017
- Catalan Officials: Police Raids Are a Blow to Referendum - September 21st, 2017
- Russia Warns It Would Retaliate Against US Forces in Syria If Provoked - September 21st, 2017
- Tillerson: Iran 'Technically' Complying With Nuclear Deal - September 21st, 2017
- South Korea Unexpectedly Approves Aid to North - September 21st, 2017