Systematic torture inside Afghan government prisons was a big story when the United Nations released a report detailing the enormous level of mistreatment, and NATO announced it would stop transferring detainees to those prisons. It didn’t catch anyone in the US military by surprise, however, as US officials now admit they had several warnings about the abuse in US-funded prisons and sat on the story until the UN report broke.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Separatists Attack Iran Military Parade in Ahvaz, Killing at Least 25 - September 22nd, 2018
- Israeli Delegation Continues to Try to Explain Downing of Russian Plane in Syria - September 21st, 2018
- German Companies Continue to Withdraw From Iran - September 21st, 2018
- As Afghan Military Deaths Soar, Officials Struggle to Keep Toll Secret - September 21st, 2018
- Afghan Officials Will Meet Taliban in Moscow - September 21st, 2018