Systematic torture inside Afghan government prisons was a big story when the United Nations released a report detailing the enormous level of mistreatment, and NATO announced it would stop transferring detainees to those prisons. It didn’t catch anyone in the US military by surprise, however, as US officials now admit they had several warnings about the abuse in US-funded prisons and sat on the story until the UN report broke.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Brief Afghan Ceasefire Ends With a Return to War - June 18th, 2018
- After Kurds' Exit, US and Turkey Patrol Near Syria's Manbij - June 18th, 2018
- US, South Korea Suspend Joint Military Exercise - June 18th, 2018
- Pompeo Prepares for Next Step in North Korea Nuclear Talks - June 18th, 2018
- UAE Demands 'Unconditional' Rebel Pullout From Yemen Port - June 18th, 2018