Systematic torture inside Afghan government prisons was a big story when the United Nations released a report detailing the enormous level of mistreatment, and NATO announced it would stop transferring detainees to those prisons. It didn’t catch anyone in the US military by surprise, however, as US officials now admit they had several warnings about the abuse in US-funded prisons and sat on the story until the UN report broke.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia to Send Warplanes to Crimea, Citing Ukraine 'Provocation' - December 18th, 2018
- Trump Urges Kosovo to Reach 'Historic' Deal With Serbia - December 18th, 2018
- Russia Cuts Military Flights Over Syria by 99% - December 18th, 2018
- US-Taliban Talks Focused on Proposal of Six-Month Ceasefire - December 18th, 2018
- Afghan Airstrikes Kill 55 'Militants' in 24 Hours - December 18th, 2018