Al-Shabaab has released a new video showing Abdisalan Taqabalahullaah, a Somali-American who was one of the suicide bombers that attacked an African Union base in Mogadishu, an attack which killed at least 10.
In the video, Taqabalahullaah urged Muslims worldwide to abandon efforts to become a doctor or an engineer and to not “just chill all day” but instead to launch attack like the one that killed him.
Al-Shabaab has been fighting against the African Union troops for years and is now also fighting against Kenyan forces which invaded southern Somalia earlier this month.
The Kenyan military reportedly killed at least 10 members of al-Shabaab in an air strike against Jilib. Reports from inside the town also had a number of civilians slain, but Kenyan officials said that was “propaganda” to make their invasion look bad.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US to Cut Some Somali Military Aid Over Misuse, Corruption - December 17th, 2017
- Sistani: Shi'ite Militias Should Remain as Part of Iraq's Security Services - December 17th, 2017
- Mounting Tensions Drive Arms Sales to Multi-Decade High - December 17th, 2017
- US Commandos Participate in Thousands of Afghan Ground Operations - December 17th, 2017
- Israeli Crackdowns, Arrests Fail to Stop Jerusalem Protests - December 17th, 2017