NATO troops attacked hundreds of Kosovar Serbs today as part of an effort to destroy blockades set up by protesters in the region, leaving at least 40 civilians injured and one of them in serious condition.
Tear gas and pepper spray were fired against demonstrators, as well as against crowds of civilians who happened to be near the site of barricades, and locals expressed shock at the severity of NATO’s response.
“We had a great relationship with KFOR (NATO’s Kosovo Force) before this. I don’t know what happened to them,” one protester noted. The Kosovar Serbs have been protesting efforts by their government, dominated by ethnic Albanians, to close off trade with neighboring Serbia.
And while NATO reported that the barricades set up by the Serbs have been destroyed, allowing troops into the border posts to close them off, many of the demonstrators appeared to raise the prospect of setting up new ones, saying that they are willing to continue for months if necessary.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills Over 60 Syrian Troops in 48 Hours of Attacks - April 20th, 2019
- US Intel Doubts North Korea Weapons Test Was Successful - April 19th, 2019
- Ecuador Judge Orders Detention of Former Foreign Minister Connected to Assange - April 19th, 2019
- US Reveals Support for Former CIA Asset Hafter in Libya - April 19th, 2019
- Pompeo Dismisses North Korea Demands, Says He Can't Be Removed From Talks - April 19th, 2019