Speaking today in a nationally televised address, Afghan President Hamid Karzai addressed the collapsed peace talks with the Taliban, insisting their failure was the fault of everyone except the Afghan government.
“We have always been trying to bring peace to Afghanistan by all means,” Karzai insisted, saying the Taliban responded “with assassinations and killings.” He also slammed the Pakistani government in the comments, saying they still hadn’t solved the “crisis across the border.”
The statement follows yesterday’s official condemnations of Pakistan, accusing them of involvement in the assassination of Burhanuddin Rabbani and saying that the Haqqani Network had likewise been involved.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Corrects Tillerson, Rejects North Korea Talks - December 13th, 2017
- White House Accuses Abbas of 'Preventing Peace' With Criticism - December 13th, 2017
- US Expected to Sanction Iran Because of Worsening Conditions in Yemen - December 13th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrikes Against Yemen Capital Kill 39 - December 13th, 2017
- Yemen's Pro-Saleh Faction, Houthis Make a Deal to End Dispute - December 13th, 2017