Speaking today in a nationally televised address, Afghan President Hamid Karzai addressed the collapsed peace talks with the Taliban, insisting their failure was the fault of everyone except the Afghan government.
“We have always been trying to bring peace to Afghanistan by all means,” Karzai insisted, saying the Taliban responded “with assassinations and killings.” He also slammed the Pakistani government in the comments, saying they still hadn’t solved the “crisis across the border.”
The statement follows yesterday’s official condemnations of Pakistan, accusing them of involvement in the assassination of Burhanuddin Rabbani and saying that the Haqqani Network had likewise been involved.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Peshmerga: Iraqi Offensive Is a 'Declaration of War' - October 16th, 2017
- Thousands Flee as Iraqi Forces Seize Kirkuk - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon Backs Away as US Allies Prepare to Battle in Iraqi Kurdistan - October 16th, 2017
- North Korea Rejects US Talks Amid Threats - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Ratchets Up Threats as Catalonia Refuses to Respond - October 16th, 2017