Speaking today in a nationally televised address, Afghan President Hamid Karzai addressed the collapsed peace talks with the Taliban, insisting their failure was the fault of everyone except the Afghan government.
“We have always been trying to bring peace to Afghanistan by all means,” Karzai insisted, saying the Taliban responded “with assassinations and killings.” He also slammed the Pakistani government in the comments, saying they still hadn’t solved the “crisis across the border.”
The statement follows yesterday’s official condemnations of Pakistan, accusing them of involvement in the assassination of Burhanuddin Rabbani and saying that the Haqqani Network had likewise been involved.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UAE's Military Buildup Faces New Scrutiny Amid Yemen Torture Scandal - June 26th, 2017
- Trump: North Korea Needs to Be 'Dealt With Rapidly' - June 26th, 2017
- Russian, US Diplomats Discuss a New Syria Ceasefire - June 26th, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Unveils $696.5 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 26th, 2017
- Russia Warns Norway that Presence of US Marines 'Destabilizing' Region - June 25th, 2017