Speaking today in a nationally televised address, Afghan President Hamid Karzai addressed the collapsed peace talks with the Taliban, insisting their failure was the fault of everyone except the Afghan government.
“We have always been trying to bring peace to Afghanistan by all means,” Karzai insisted, saying the Taliban responded “with assassinations and killings.” He also slammed the Pakistani government in the comments, saying they still hadn’t solved the “crisis across the border.”
The statement follows yesterday’s official condemnations of Pakistan, accusing them of involvement in the assassination of Burhanuddin Rabbani and saying that the Haqqani Network had likewise been involved.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017