Speaking today in a nationally televised address, Afghan President Hamid Karzai addressed the collapsed peace talks with the Taliban, insisting their failure was the fault of everyone except the Afghan government.
“We have always been trying to bring peace to Afghanistan by all means,” Karzai insisted, saying the Taliban responded “with assassinations and killings.” He also slammed the Pakistani government in the comments, saying they still hadn’t solved the “crisis across the border.”
The statement follows yesterday’s official condemnations of Pakistan, accusing them of involvement in the assassination of Burhanuddin Rabbani and saying that the Haqqani Network had likewise been involved.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018
- Afghans Head to Polls Amid Corruption, Taliban Threats - October 19th, 2018