Adding to a series of warnings from other top Pakistani officials, Pakistani intelligence chief Gen. Shuja Pasha today warned that an “American attack on Pakistan” was “unacceptable” and that Pakistan’s military would not allow it.
The comments come admit growing concern that the US is planning to invade Pakistan’s tribal areas, which has been warned several times against such a move. Sen. Lindsay Graham (R – SC) has claimed “broad bipartisan support” for the attack.
Tensions have been on the rise for months, but have come to a head amid claims from Admiral Michael Mullen that the Haqqani Network is a wing of the Pakistani military. Though officials concede Mullen’s claim is likely “exaggerated,” the admiral insisted today he “stands by” his comments.
The claims about the Haqqanis come hot on the heals of Obama Administration claims that they were secretly behind the attack on the US Embassy in Kabul. This is in spite of the Afghan Taliban claiming credit for the attack themselves.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018
- Cordial Talks Between Trump and Putin; Two Will Meet Soon - March 20th, 2018