An Afghan employee at the US Embassy in Afghanistan attacked the CIA annex in the neighboring Ariana Hotel last night, killing an American citizen, and lightly wounded others.
Officials say they are still investigating the incident to try to figure out the motive of the attacker, who was killed by embassy troops. They also declined to say whether he was authorized to carry a weapon in the embassy.
Immediate speculation, of course, is that he was a Taliban “sleeper agent,” but officials insist all employees undergo thorough background checks. While this wouldn’t be the first time such checks failed, it is also possible he is simply a disgruntled employee with a grudge against somebody.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018