An Afghan employee at the US Embassy in Afghanistan attacked the CIA annex in the neighboring Ariana Hotel last night, killing an American citizen, and lightly wounded others.
Officials say they are still investigating the incident to try to figure out the motive of the attacker, who was killed by embassy troops. They also declined to say whether he was authorized to carry a weapon in the embassy.
Immediate speculation, of course, is that he was a Taliban “sleeper agent,” but officials insist all employees undergo thorough background checks. While this wouldn’t be the first time such checks failed, it is also possible he is simply a disgruntled employee with a grudge against somebody.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Mattis Claims White House Threat to Syria 'Worked' - June 28th, 2017
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017