An Afghan employee at the US Embassy in Afghanistan attacked the CIA annex in the neighboring Ariana Hotel last night, killing an American citizen, and lightly wounded others.
Officials say they are still investigating the incident to try to figure out the motive of the attacker, who was killed by embassy troops. They also declined to say whether he was authorized to carry a weapon in the embassy.
Immediate speculation, of course, is that he was a Taliban “sleeper agent,” but officials insist all employees undergo thorough background checks. While this wouldn’t be the first time such checks failed, it is also possible he is simply a disgruntled employee with a grudge against somebody.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017
- Niger Ambush Serves as Excuse for AFRICOM to Seek More Funds - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017