An Afghan employee at the US Embassy in Afghanistan attacked the CIA annex in the neighboring Ariana Hotel last night, killing an American citizen, and lightly wounded others.
Officials say they are still investigating the incident to try to figure out the motive of the attacker, who was killed by embassy troops. They also declined to say whether he was authorized to carry a weapon in the embassy.
Immediate speculation, of course, is that he was a Taliban “sleeper agent,” but officials insist all employees undergo thorough background checks. While this wouldn’t be the first time such checks failed, it is also possible he is simply a disgruntled employee with a grudge against somebody.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea's President Moon Rules Out War on Korean Peninsula - August 17th, 2017
- Assange Meets Rep. Rohrabacher, Vows to Prove Leaks Didn't Come From Russia - August 17th, 2017
- UN Report: Saudis Killed 502 Children in Yemen in Past Year - August 17th, 2017
- Iraq PM Confirms Troops Abused Civilians in Mosul - August 17th, 2017
- North Korea: Nuclear Talks Only If US Stops 'Hostile Policy' and Threats - August 17th, 2017