Eyewitnesses in the southern Somali port city of Kismayo have reported a number of missile strikes, apparently fired by US drones in and around the city. Terrified residents say that several loud explosions were heard in the area.
The militant faction al-Shabaab, which is in control of the area, says the drones hit on the outskirts of the town and killed at least nine civilians, including women and children. 30 others were reported wounded in the strikes.
Separate attacks were reported even further south, with Kenyan helicopter gunships targeting the Elwak region near the border. Al-Shabaab insists that the Kenyan attacks were nowhere near any of their positions.
The US began launching drone strikes against targets within Somalia in late June, the latest in a growing number of nations which now have constant US UAVs flying overhead, launching attacks with no real oversight against whoever they believe needs killing at any given time.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cluster Bomb Attack Against East Syrian Village Kills at Least 30 Civilians - June 28th, 2017
- Russia: Trump and Putin Probably Should Talk During Hamburg Summit - June 28th, 2017
- US Special Forces Deployed to Kurdish City on Turkish Border - June 28th, 2017
- ISIS Looks to Expand Presence in Northern Afghanistan - June 28th, 2017
- South Korea Leader Reverses Stance, Now Backs Trump Against North Korea - June 28th, 2017