A car bombing hit a popular restaurant and hotel in the city of Hilla in central Iraq today, killing at least 17 people, including a number of security forces. 46 others were wounded. Officials blamed al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) for the attack.
The restaurant was said to be popular with Shi’ite pilgrims, as well as local police, and it is unclear which group was the actual target, though the ongoing pilgrimages have made Shi’ites a popular target this week.
The Hilla attack was just the biggest of several attacks nationwide, which left at least 33 people killed and 64 others wounded. Attacks have killed 76 people so far this week.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Sen. Corker: Trump Must End Intel Clampdown on Khashoggi - October 18th, 2018
- Saudis Mull Blaming Top Intelligence Official for Journalist's Killing - October 18th, 2018
- Trump: Khashoggi Likely Dead, Too Early to Assign Blame - October 18th, 2018
- Taliban Kills Top Afghan Officials in Insider Attack - October 18th, 2018
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018