Speaking today on behalf of the National Transitional Council (NTC), Libyan rebel prime minister Mahmoud Jabril warned that the civil war in Libya is far from over, and demanded all rebel factions unite behind the NTC to defeat the Gadhafi regime remnants.
At the same time, Jabril warned rival rebel groups against “political games,” a reference to the growing discontent among rebels, particularly in the West, at the NTC’s decision to appoint Gadhafi allies to key positions.
The NTC’s efforts to keep rebel factions focused on Gadhafi speaks to growing predictions from analysts that, with the anti-Gadhafi civil war all but over, Libya could quickly descend into a second civil war, with various factions fighting it out over who will rule.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018